If your name legally changes, any of the accounts you are listed on need to reflect the updated name. To complete this update we will just need you to visit a local branch with legal documentation of the name change, where we will have you sign an official document for our own records:

  • Legal documentation of your name change can include but is not limited to:
    • Marriage License
    • Divorce Decree
    • Court Documents
    • Valid Driver's License
  • If you are unsure whether your document is accepted or not, please contact the Information Center via live chat, secure email or call 636-728-3333.